Monday, March 9, 2009

Money Book and Box

This is such a cute idea for birthday presents and baby showers. I found it on capture the moment:

I couldn't resist showing you this little project too! I affectionately named it the Bat Mitzvah Bank Book & Box (catchy, isn't it!). The Hebrew "chai" represents the number 18. It is traditional when giving a monetary gift of money for a Bat/Bar Mitzvah, that it be in increments of 18. I designed this little book & box to be a fun way to package money, making the presentation part of the gift! And this certainly isn't limited to Bat Mitzvahs! It would work well for any occasion you would give money, Jewish or not!

Notched_spine First I created the cover of my book. Here is a printable template you can use. Print it right onto your cardstock!

Download bank_book_cover.pdf

After you have cut and scored according to the template, punch three notches at the top & bottom of the spine using a 1/16th inch handheld hole punch.

..........................................................................................
Knotted_spine These notches provide the perfect resting place for some gold cording I wrapped around the spine. You want to wrap three times (therefore three notches), starting and ending on the exterior spine. When you ar done wrapping, just use the two ends to wrap the three strands together and tie a knot to hold them in place.

..........................................................................................
Cord_interior The interior spine will look like this when completed.

.........................................................................................
Three_cash_sections Then you can insert your money! I divided my money into three even sections and then put them in place in the book, with the cord resting in the center fold of each section.

.........................................................................................
Adding_gold_to_scroll Of course I needed to embellish the cover of my Bank Book. I started by stamping the Torah Scroll from our new Mazel Tov set with Noir Palette ink. The Torah Scroll is a very important part of the Bat/Bar Mitvah initiation process and embelishes almost everything associated with the event. I colored it in using Copic markers. I also used one of our new Ultra Fine Tip metallic pens in gold to add a few details to the scroll. When you are stamping simply, it is all about the details!

.........................................................................................
Metallic_edging I wanted to create an extra matting layer to go on the cover of my book. I stamped it with Versamark usign Polka Dot Basics. I then edged the block in gold usign a ruler and fine tip gold pen. They flow so smoothly! I love the way this turned out and will definitelybe repeating the same technique on future projects!

........................................................................................
Double_ended_tag_die Next up, I added a little decorative detail by die-cutting one of the Double Ended Tags from our new Gold Shimmer cardstock.

.......................................................................................
Bat_mitzvah_bank_book Add a few gold brads and viola, a completed Bat Mitzvah Bank Book! I just love how it turned out! Just think, if you were making this for a different occassion, all you would have to do is swap out the image on the cover for something else! Endless possibilities!

......................................................................................
Scoring_template After this little book was completed, I knew it just HAD to have a snazzy presentation to go with it! Here is a printable template for my Bank Book Box. ...

Download bank_book_box_template.pdf

You can print it right onto your desired cardstock! I like to score all of the appropriate lines first using my Scor-Pal. Then I cut out the remainder for the pattern.

......................................................................................
Bank_box_open Here is my version I cut & scored from gold shimmer cardstock. Notice how the book fits perfectly in it!

.....................................................................................
Bank_box_first_flaps_shut To close the box, you need to push in the top & bottom tabs first.

.....................................................................................

Bank_book_open Followed by the side tabs. Notice that I crerated a cover embellishment and that it is only adhered on one of the tabs. This makes for easy opening and the ability for the recipient to save it as a keepsake (not ruin it when opening).

....................................................................................
Bat_mitzvah_bank_book_box I created the same polka-dotted mat for the front and heat embossed the sentiment on vintage cream cardstock. The beautiful Gold Sheer Metallic Edge ribbon was the PERFECT finishing touch for this project, and served as aclosure for the box. I hope this project inspired you! Be sure to post a link in the comments section if you make your own version! I would love to see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment